Sunday, October 9, 2016

Parenting Advice Needed

I got played. By a 9 and 13-year-old. I'm sure it's not the first, and I know it won't be the last, but it's the first time I have overwhelming concrete evidence in my possession. What to do with this evidence is the question at hand.

The facts: Austin earned his phone back yesterday after a one-week hiatus for being irresponsible, both with his phone and his grades. This morning as we were getting ready for church, Austin sauntered by Addison and said, "You look hideous." You can imagine how crushing these words were to a 9-year-old. When we confronted Austin, he became belligerent and angry, even though he admitted to saying it. Needless-to-say, the phone became ours again.

Fast-forward to this afternoon. Addison brings me a note she wrote to Austin apologizing for being a tattle-tale, and asked if I thought she should give it to him. I agreed it was a nice gesture, but that he made bad choices after the fact, which is why his phone was taken. I then watched as she took him the note, apologized, and embraced him in an affectionate hug. I must be doing something right! My kids are the sweetest things ever!

Oh, but wait.

Addison later brings me a note asking if I will please give Austin his phone back. She felt really guilty for blowing up the situation in the first place. We decide he can have the phone back in exchange for some extra household chores, which he completes with delight.

All is right in the world. Lessons learned all over the freaking place!

And then my world came crashing down. As I was putting away laundry, I found this in Addison's room (Austin's handwriting):







Long story short, the entire ruse was planned and executed in minute detail. And I fell for it. I fell hard. What do I now do with the incriminating evidence? Do I confront the co-conspirators, do I save the evidence for later, or do I move on, using this as a learning experiencing? What did I learn? My kids are liars and extremely creative. They are also award-worthy actors. I honestly don't know if I should be mad or proud.

Advice welcome!

And now I'm going to watch the Presidential Debate and relish in the fact that my little, evil, creative geniuses are minor issues compared to the crap I'm about to watch.

See the Good, Be the Good!

Image result for heart images

No comments:

Post a Comment