Thursday, October 6, 2016

I'm an Impostor

I've literally tried to start this blog three times. You know that too-tired-to-think-straight feeling? I'm there. Here's hoping for the best! #day5 #write31days

I read an interesting article today about a clinical disorder I believe I have: Impostor Syndrome. Yes, it's a real thing. It affects many writers, and women are more at-risk than men. At the most basic level, people with this disorder have a fear they will be "unmasked" as the fraud they truly are, that their accomplishments in life are not as important as others believe them to be. This is especially detrimental to writers and could even explain why many are traditionally procrastinators.

Writers have a constant fear of not being good enough or that a piece could have been better. Eventually, the fear of not meeting deadlines wins over the fear of bad writing, and, therefore, the writing eventually gets done.

In my case, there are no deadlines. I'm simply doing this for me. If I get through these 31 days, it'll be a damn miracle. Forgive the Eeyore tone. I'm spent.

See the Good...Be the Good,

Kelly
Image result for heart images

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/02/why-writers-are-the-worst-procrastinators/283773/


No comments:

Post a Comment