Monday, October 10, 2016

Mints


Image result for memories


Isn't it crazy how one little thing can bring a rush of emotions and memories? That "thing" today was a pack of BreathSavers.

I walked into the Exxon fully prepared to pay for another pack of gum in the hopes of staying minty-fresh, but it suddenly struck me that I don't like chewing gum. It hurts my jaw, and after only five minutes, I'm ready to toss it. Today, however, I was struck by a novel idea: buy some mints. Genius! I need fresh breath, I hate gum, and here is an alternative.

I found the section of mints, and memories upon memories came rushing back. All it took was this little blue package:


My dad smoked for years (he quit cold turkey 30 or so years ago), and therefore, always carried BreathSavers to hide the smoker's breath (I assume.) We loved those mints, and he graciously shared with my sister, brother, and myself.

My parents divorced when I was in the 2nd grade, and after the divorce, my mom was given custody. She moved us three hours away, and I don't blame her for needing to be near her family and support system. Nevertheless, it was hard being suddenly so far away from my dad.

We visited him often, and this tiny pack of mints reminded me so much of the bright moments in a time that was probably otherwise dark (let's be honest...divorce is tough): the black Porshe, the Taco Bell in Temple, throwing up in Chuck E Cheese, walking to the store across 488 to rent movies and buy snacks, the 4-wheeler and mini-motorcycle, girlfriends, the Freestone County Fair, the mixed-tape, Swingin', Afrin, Hamburger Helper, the Ski tape, the golf cart, "Let her Frederick", Mr. Jack, Lucky, The Von Erichs, just to name a few. How did a tiny pack of mints bring out all of this?!

These words mean nothing to most of you, but to me they are my treasures, and I will forever hold them close. What items are nostalgic to you? I would sincerely love to hear your stories.

See the Good, Be the Good!

Image result for heart images

No comments:

Post a Comment