Thursday, July 30, 2015

I'm a Closet Drinker


Last Friday it began. My list of errands was long, and I was craving a Dr. Pepper for the first time since my clean eating began. Every convenience store seemed to have a huge, neon sign blinking the words, "COME BUY A DP. NO ONE WILL KNOW." My will power weakened. When I finally walked into the Stop-N-Go, I looked around for anyone I might know. After buying the poison, I held it tightly against my leg as I walked out the door. No one can know.

I sat in my car, parked at the back of the store, and took two long chugs. My taste buds came alive, but the shame was overpowering. "I have to finish drinking this before I get back home." I ran a few more errands, stopped at another store to dispose of the evidence, and then began the seven mile ride to the country.

And so began the multitude of bad choices. Between the kid's birthday bash on Saturday and starting back to work on Monday, it's been tough. In the midst of it all, I haven't gained back any of the weight, but I feel terrible. I've stressed from the beginning that's what is most important to me. I want to be healthy from the inside out.

Thankfully, my support system sustains me. One friend often reminds me that no matter how many times I fail with this, I can always start again. There's no limit. Creating new habits after 30 plus years of bad eating habits isn't going to happen overnight. It may take a year or more, and that's okay.

After yesterday's lunch of pizza and a dinner including a patty melt, today is a start-over, which is far better than being a quitter.



4 comments:

  1. I should really join you in this. I have a terrible, terrible diet. Living alone (most of the time) with a busy schedule, I tend to eat what is easy. You're inspiring me to change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a compliment, especially since you inspire me educationally on a daily basis!

      Delete
  2. Oh Kelly...I am just cracking up reading this!!! Another quote I like is "First they'll ask you why you do it...then they'll ask you how you did it". It's so hard when you have such a busy life...keep at it girl! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! Good luck with the new eating journey you and Daddy are beginning, as well. We can all be motivation for one another!

      Delete