Friday, July 31, 2015

A Time For Everything

(Disclaimer: I wrote this a month ago or so, but apparently forgot to publish it. Oops!)

(Photo Cred: Mandy Bolin)

Wearing two layers of clothes and wrapped tightly in a Christmas blanket, I enjoyed our last football game of the year. Once again the cards did not fall in our favor, but once again our boys showed heart in the face of adversity.  

It's no secret that nearly every team we've played this season has been bigger than us. There's no denying our sparse sideline compared to the fuller sidelines of our opponents. And let's just talk for a moment about the season-ending injuries we've faced: too many. 

Unfortunately, the same injury curse could be seen with our volleyball team.



Where do we go from here? I've been in mourning for a couple of weeks over volleyball season ending. Are there things I would have done differently? Absolutely. Every coach looks back and says the same thing (if they're honest with themselves.) All I can do is learn from this season and begin preparing for next season.  

People will not always agree with the decisions I make. That comes with the territory of being a head coach. I will never, no matter how hard I try, make everyone happy. Enemies are created, whether it be intentional or not. But I rest easy knowing I make every decision in the best interest of my girls and my team. I want to win, just like everyone else does. I've never met a coach who isn't making decisions based on winning. If they say otherwise, they're lying.

Want to know why? Everyone's happy if you're winning. No matter what. End of story. Fini.

Don't misunderstand: teaching kids how to survive in life, how to become contributing citizens, about respect and honor is infinitely more important; but winning remains a top goal. Everyone wants their kids to have success, and it's our job to help them achieve that. 

A sweet friend of mine has a son who plays on a traditionally winning team. This season, thanks mainly to realignment, they have struggled. She said recently, "There's no glory in losing. I don't know how you and Michael have done it the last two years." She said this out of true sympathy, because she knows how badly we want it for our teams, and that we are willing to do whatever to achieve success, both for personal reasons and because we love this community and these kids so much. (And she knows how undeniably competitive we are!)

There's a joke in the coaching profession that goes something like this: "If you win, it's because of the athletes. If you lose, it's because of the coach." We all know, win or lose, it's a little of both, but sometimes it feels less like joke and more like the truth, at least in the eyes of the outside world. So I just have to put one foot in front of the other, keep my head held high, and trust in God to help me make the best decisions for my kids. That's all I can do. 

To all of the amazing kids I am blessed to work with: thank you, thank you, thank you! While you may give me a headache from time to time, the joy you give me far outweighs the stress. I look forward to going to "work" each and every day. 

To the parents of these kids: thank you for trusting me with your babies. I know it's not easy! But know that you have done an amazing job raising these kids, which only makes my job easier. 

To those of you who have been there through it all: you are literally the reason I am able to keep going. Your random texts, pats on the shoulder, sweet hugs, all mean more than you will ever know. 

To my non-supporters: we may not see eye-to-eye on things, but please know that I care about the kids of Grand Saline as though they were my own. And that's what is most important. 

So, goodbye to another season. I am already looking forward #gsvbpo15!  

What's next? "Fore!"

1 comment:

  1. There's much glory in losing if you learn something through it. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete